Categories
News

City needs a residency requirement September 27, 2012

Sheila Stocks-Smith
The Illinois Times

This upcoming Nov. 6 election is important because voters will help decide who gets the nation’s top job while they pick winners for congressional and state legislative seats, some local offices and ballot initiatives. And, while Springfield voters get their chance to shape the national, state and local political landscape, a local advisory referendum on residency requirements will also allow Springfield voters to have impact on an issue close to home.

This time, though, Springfield voters must pay close attention to the issue of residency requirements because the advisory question embodies more than just dictating where city employees live. It articulates whether we want to preserve Springfield’s identity as a city or adopt a regional vision for our area.

Categories
News

Payday loan law doesn’t apply to TitleMax

Bruce Rushton

Illinois Times

Sep 13, 2012

Debate over short-term loan businesses on MacArthur Boulevard has erupted anew three years after the Springfield City Council restricted the proliferation of businesses that profit from making installment loans.

At issue is what constitutes a business subject to the city’s ban on loan establishments locating within 1,500 feet of like businesses on a decaying section of MacArthur Boulevard. The city hopes to rejuvenate the commercial strip with the help of a new tax-increment financing district formed to aid development of a proposed Hy-Vee supermarket at the site of a long-closed K-Mart.

But the Springfield building and zoning department initially rejected a TitleMax application for a building permit to allow a move to the nearby Town and Country shopping center, also on MacArthur Boulevard.

But Mayor Mike Houston points out that the city ordinance applies to payday loan operations as defined by the state. It turns out that loans involving collateral such as vehicle titles are different than loans made in exchange for a check post-dated to the date a borrower gets a paycheck, at least so far as the state is concerned.

“At the time that the ordinance was passed there was no consideration given to businesses that accept collateral,” Houston wrote in an email response to questions. “Therefore, there would be no provisions that would prevent TitleMax from moving across the street (Outer Park Drive) from its present location.”

“I consider TitleMax to be just like another loan-store operation that was intended to be addressed under this ordinance,” Jobe said. “I think we should enforce the law as it was intended to be enforced. … In the spirit of the ordinance, we never dreamed of TitleMax being out of it.”

In a recent email to city zoning officials, however, James Zerkle, an attorney who is one of the owners of Town and Country, wrote that TitleMax has a lease with the shopping center and the city could be on the hook for economic losses if a building permit is improperly denied.

 
Like Jobe, Ward 7 Ald. Joe McMenamin said that the distinction between payday loan operations and title-loan businesses came as a surprise. “It’s kind of a new question,” McMenamin said.

McMenamin, who is a lawyer, said that it is likely too late for the city to stop TitleMax from moving. He said title-loan businesses provide a service in that borrowers rejected by conventional banks can get lower interest rates than offered by payday loan stores. But he didn’t reject revisiting the ordinance.

“I’m really open-minded on the issue,” McMenamin said.

Read the full article at illinoistimes.com…

Categories
News

Aldermen challenge change in plans for Motor Inn

DEANA STROISCH (deana.stroisch@sj-r.com)

The State Journal-Register
 
Sep 11, 2012
 
Plans to convert the Motor Inn into retail space came under fire Tuesday night, with one Springfield alderman threatening to pull the plug on city funding. Aldermen questioned why plans to rehabilitate the 1920s-vintage garage at Fourth and Monroe streets didn’t come back to the city council for approval after the developer scrapped plans to build affordable housing.
  
Aldermen said the council approved spending tax increment funding money on a residential project, not a commercial one. “I strongly reject this way of doing business,” said Ward 7 Ald. Joe McMenamin. “I think we should say no to TIF money for Motor Inn.”

About $2 million from the downtown TIF district was approved a year and a half ago for work on the Motor Inn, along with seven other commercial properties from 308 to 322 E. Monroe St.

Developer Bob Barker recently told The State Journal-Register that a cost analysis showed that the best use of the buildings would be retail space. The city’s deal with Barker includes $210,000 for property acquisition and $650,000 for environmental cleanup and rehabilitation.

All of the properties are vacant.

Ward 8 Ald. Kris Theilen said the Motor Inn project exposed a loophole in the TIF approval process. He said aldermen should ask that any major changes in a project’s scope come back to the city council for approval.

***

Read the full article at sj-r.com…

Categories
News

Hy-Vee proceeds with purchase of old Kmart property Jan 20, 2012

By TIM LANDIS (tim.landis@sj-r.com)

The State Journal-Register

Hy-Vee Corp. has exercised its option to buy the former Kmart building, an abandoned bowling alley and a payday loan store on MacArthur Boulevard in order to build a supermarket and convenience store.

Company spokeswoman Ruth Comer said Friday the Iowa-based retailer would like to begin construction as soon as possible, pending city action on creation of a tax-increment financing district along the boulevard. “We did close on the three properties we were looking at,” said Comer. “We’ll be watching closely what the city does with the TIF, as it will figure into our plans.”

Categories
News

City says new violations found at MacArthur Park apartments

DEANA STROISCH (deana.stroisch@sj-r.com)

The State Journal-Register
Aug 29, 2012
The owner of the MacArthur Park Apartments will be back in administrative court next month after city inspectors said they found dozens of new building code violations. The city cited the owner, James Green of Granite Investment Co., for violations ranging from exposed wiring and non-functioning smoke detectors to debris-filled gutters.
A hearing Wednesday on the allegations was continued until Sept. 12.

A team of inspectors and city officials descended on the apartment complex with a search warrant a year ago and found about 200 violations. Inspectors have

Categories
News

Mayor: Cleanup first, then maybe substation in apartment complex Aug 31, 2012

DEANA STROISCH
The State Journal-Register

The city of Springfield won’t consider opening a police substation at the MacArthur Park Apartments until the complex is cleaned up, Mayor Mike Houston said Friday. During a Friday afternoon press conference, Houston said he doesn’t think a police substation will keep tenants and visitors from further damaging the apartments. Currently, there are more than 1,200 code violations at 26 of the complex’s buildings, he said.

“The owner of this apartment (complex) has given us no indication, given the past history of the operation of these apartments, that this is somebody that we should work with,” Houston said. “When they demonstrate that they have corrected their violations, then we will in fact work with them.”

Categories
News

What a difference a year makes?

Bruce Rushton

Illinois Times

August 23rd, 2012

A little more than a year after the start of a housing inspection blitz, nearly all of the MacArthur Park apartment complex in Springfield has been inspected. City officials acknowledge some progress at the 188-unit complex near Jerome known for blight and crime. But they’re not satisfied after inspecting 38 four-plexes since Aug. 5 of last year, with 10 buildings left to go.

The city has been conducting inspections in waves of five or six buildings every six weeks or so, and Sadowski said the city has been

Categories
News

Mayor Houston allows residency referendum to move forward Aug 17, 2012

DEANA STROISCH
The State Journal-Register

Springfield Mayor Mike Houston said Friday he will “let the people vote” on whether future city employees should be required to live in the city. The mayor said he signed off on the advisory referendum — which he called meaningless — because seven aldermen wanted to put the issue before voters on Nov. 6.
“The question will be what the members of the city council will do if the voters vote for a residency requirement in their wards,” Houston said. “Will they then vote to pass an ordinance creating a residency requirement? That is the question which remains to be answered.”

Ward 7 Ald. Joe McMenamin, who sponsored the ordinance, said

Categories
News

Springfield aldermen vote to hold residency referendum Aug 14, 2012

DEANA STROISCH
The State Journal-Register

On their second try, Springfield aldermen agreed Tuesday to ask voters whether future city employees should be required to live inside Springfield city limits. If not vetoed by Mayor Mike Houston, the referendum, which would be advisory only, will be held in conjunction with the Nov. 6 presidential election.
The measure, which failed by a 5-5 vote just last week, passed 7-2-1 with the additional support of two aldermen – Ward 3 Ald. Doris Turner, who changed her vote, and Ward 4 Ald. Frank Lesko, who was absent last week.

Ward 7 Ald. Joe McMenamin, who pushed for the ballot measure, isn’t celebrating yet. “Until the mayor signs the resolution, it’s not over yet,” he said. “I hope the mayor will say: ‘Let the voters speak.”

Categories
News

Revote planned on employee residency issue Aug 10, 2012

Deana Stroisch
The State Journal-Register

A special meeting has been called for Tuesday for Springfield aldermen to reconsider their split decision not to ask voters whether future city employees should be required to live in the city. Ward 7 Ald. Joe McMenamin said Friday he’s found the sixth vote needed to get the non-binding referendum on the Nov. 6 ballot.
Ward 3 Ald. Doris Turner, who supports a residency requirement but not an advisory referendum, said McMenamin convinced her to change her vote. “It doesn’t change my position as far as residency. I just didn’t feel like the referendum was the right way to go about it,” Turner said. “However, I will not stand in the way of it being put to the voters.”