Categories
News

City wants faster response at MacArthur Park, Bel-Aire

By TIM LANDIS (tim.landis@sj-r.com)

Mar 9, 2012

The State Journal Register

City officials are prepared to seek thousands of dollars in fines against owners of the MacArthur Park Apartments and the Bel-Aire Motel if they don’t move faster to fix hundreds of building-code violations, two Springfield aldermen said Thursday.

An administrative hearing on that possibility is scheduled for Wednesday in the case of the MacArthur Park Apartments, 2715 S. MacArthur Blvd. Fines could range from $50 to $500 per violation, said Ward 7. Ald. Joe MeMenamin

Categories
News

City, Hy-Vee in final talks on MacArthur Boulevard grocery Feb 25, 2012

By TIM LANDIS (tim.landis@sj-r.com)

The State Journal-Register

Hy-Vee Corp. will have to make one more trip to the Springfield City Council before the Iowa-based supermarket chain can begin conversion of the former Kmart building on MacArthur Boulevard, city officials say. Plans are for both to happen this spring.
Categories
News

Ward 7 Newsletter January 2012

Dear Friends and Neighbors,                                                             Winter 2012

This letter updates various issues in Ward 7 and our City.

While canvassing our neighborhoods last year, many residents commented on the poor
condition of our roads and sidewalks. Many are cracked and deteriorated.

With that in mind, I have talked on several occasions with Mr. Mark Mahoney, our new City Public Works
Director, regarding the sidewalk, street, and other improvements needed in Ward
7. Although there is no guarantee,

Categories
News

Municipal pensions eat more, but they’re still hungry – Jan 26, 2012

Bruce Rushton

Whether the city of Springfield is facing a pension crisis in police and firefighter retirement systems depends on who’s doing the talking. Mayor Mike Houston and Bill McCarty, director of the city’s budget and management office, say that while pension costs are always a concern, the city is in relatively good shape.
But Ward 7 Ald. Joe McMenamin warns that the city faces fiscal catastrophe if pensions for police and firefighters aren’t reined in. “It’s a major financial problem,” McMenamin says. “It’s going to get to the point that all the real estate taxes the city collects will go to feeding these pensions, and we’re also going to have to use sales tax.”
McCarty, however, is counting on an economic recovery to bolster the city’s pension funds for police and firefighters, which is now costing the city $17.7 million a year. “I don’t blame him (McMenamin) for being concerned,” McCarty said. “I think it has to be a concern. I’m more in a wait-and-see-what-happens. The simple fact is, the last few years, everybody has gotten hammered.” Besides an expected economic recovery, McCarty said that pension reform that took effect last year will prove a big help. Without reforms that included reduced pension benefits for new hires, the city in the coming fiscal year would have to allocate an additional $1.4 million to cover pension costs for police and firefighters, he said. Instead, the city’s costs will drop by $700,000, from $17.7 million to $17 million, he said.
Reckoning day is four years away, when provisions contained in pension reform legislation take effect that allow the state to divert taxes to pension funds that would otherwise go to municipal general funds if actuarial studies show that a city isn’t on target to have pensions 90 percent funded by the year 2040. Much hinges on the economy.
Police and fire pensions remain a concern for the Illinois Municipal League, which says that unfunded pension liability continues to grow in cities across the state despite pension reform. In 2010, cities in Illinois outside Chicago had less than 55 percent of police pensions funded, even though public contributions to those funds more than doubled since 2004, from $138 million to $284 million, collectively, said Joe McCoy, Municipal League legislative director. Despite the spending increase, the funded portion of pensions decreased by 7 percent, he said. McCoy said he isn’t optimistic that the legislature will enact further municipal pension reform this year. For one thing, he said, it’s an election year, and politicians are loathe to anger public employee unions. For another, there’s an awareness issue, he said. “I think if you approach your average legislator, they will realize that the state has a very substantial pension problem but they would say that their local pension system is OK,” McCoy said. “That’s simply not the case.”
Contact Bruce Rushton at brushton@illinoistimes.com.
Categories
News

Widespread support seen for MacArthur Boulevard TIF Jan 23, 2012

By DEANA STROISCH (deana.stroisch@sj-r.com)
The State Journal-Register

Trevor Miller says the roads, power lines and other infrastructure near his business on MacArthur Boulevard are in need of repair. Miller, who owns A Cut Above Barber Shop, 1812 S. MacArthur Blvd., was one of four people who spoke during a public hearing Monday on the city’s plans to redevelop a struggling section of MacArthur Boulevard using tax increment financing. “I’m all for it,” he said. “I can’t wait to see it get started.”

Categories
News

Hy-Vee proceeds with purchase of old Kmart property Jan 20, 2012

By TIM LANDIS (tim.landis@sj-r.com)
The State Journal-Register

Hy-Vee Corp. has exercised its option to buy the former Kmart building, an abandoned bowling alley and a payday loan store on MacArthur Boulevard in order to build a supermarket and convenience store.

Company spokeswoman Ruth Comer said Friday the Iowa-based retailer would like to begin construction as soon as possible, pending city action on creation of a tax-increment financing district along the boulevard. “We did close on the three properties we were looking at,” said Comer. “We’ll be watching closely what the city does with the TIF, as it will figure into our plans.”

Categories
News

Ward 7 Update January, 2012 – MacArthur Boulevard

Ward 7 Newsletter Jan 2012… (pdf)

Dear Friends and Neighbors,

This letter updates various issues in Ward 7 and our City.

While canvassing our neighborhoods last year, many residents commented on the poor condition of our roads and sidewalks. Many are cracked and deteriorated.

With that in mind, I have talked on several occasions with Mr. Mark Mahoney, our new City Public Works Director, regarding the sidewalk, street, and other improvements needed in Ward 7. Although there is no guarantee, it appears several areas of Ward 7 will receive attention in 2012.

However, the City’s budget remains very weak, making it difficult to direct revenue toward neighborhood improvements. Based on recent actuarial reports, our Police and Fire Pensions’ unfunded liabilities continue to grow at an alarming rate.

View details on pdf version…

Our City’s finances are seriously out of balance – and these two local Pension funds are a major cause. I favor one-year pay freezes for all our City workers as their union contracts expire. Many of our city workers benefited from union contracts that paid annual 4% raises over 5 years (almost 22% compounded) – during the Great Recession. We also must repeal the practice of offering retirement pay spikes to our Firefighters and Police, which inflate pensions permanently.

We cannot keep spending money we do not have. I am dedicated to bringing these fiscal problems into focus with other city office holders, and keeping city residents informed. As always, please share your views and any concerns by emailing joeforward7@aol.com or phoning 787-2297.

Very Respectfully,
Joe McMenamin

Categories
News

Payday loan limit having early impact, officials think Dec 31, 2011

By DEANA STROISCH (deana.stroisch@sj-r.com)
The State Journal-Register

Springfield has one fewer payday loan and title store today than it did nearly two years ago, when aldermen passed rules limiting where the businesses could locate.

Data from Springfield’s planning and zoning department show that three payday loan companies have closed since 2008. Another is to be torn down to make way for a Hy-Vee grocery store on MacArthur Boulevard.

Categories
News

Ward 7 Holiday Letter from Joe

Download the Ward 7 2011 Holiday Letter

Categories
News

SHA cuts off Section 8 vouchers to MacArthur Park Apartments

By DEANA STROISCH (deana.stroisch@sj-r.com)
The State Journal-Register
Posted Dec 22

Citing “serious and pervasive code violations,” the Springfield Housing Authority has stopped issuing new Section 8 vouchers for the MacArthur Park Apartments.  Jackie Newman, executive director of the housing authority, notified the owner this week that the agency will prohibit additional Section 8 tenants “until the owner has brought the units into compliance and has demonstrated a history of compliance with city codes for an extended period of time.”  Officials say the move should not affect current tenants at the 170-plus-unit complex at 2715 S. MacArthur Blvd.

Ward 7 Ald. Joe McMenamin has asked for months that the agency pull the plug on its Section 8 vouchers. On Thursday, he called SHA’s decision a “significant step.  It’ll have immediate and long-term consequences for the improvement of not only Macarthur Boulevard corridor, but for the city in general,” he said. “Landlords are on notice that SHA will not tolerate any history of local code violations.”

Don Craven, the owner’s attorney, said he couldn’t comment until he discussed the matter with the owner today.

Between August and November, city inspectors found hundreds of code violations and declared nearly four dozen MacArthur Park apartments to be uninhabitable. Eight of the four-unit buildings were required to be registered.  In early December, the city issued a certificate of occupancy for a building that was first placarded in August, allowing new tenants to move in.

Newman said SHA representatives joined the city during recent inspections. She called the list of code violations “extensive.”  In notifying the owner, James Green of Granite Investment Company, Newman pointed to the Code of Federal Regulations, which gives housing agencies the authority to deny rent assistance to “landlords who have a history of practice of renting units that fail to meet state or local housing codes.”  Newman said she’s never had to take such action in her 6 1/2 years as SHA executive director. She said between 50 and 55 tenants at the complex receive the federal assistance.

***

Federal Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) 

* Tenant’s obligations: Comply with the lease and the program requirements, pay his or her share of rent on time, maintain the unit in good condition and notify the housing authority of any changes in income or family composition.

* Landlord’s obligations: Provide decent, safe, and sanitary housing at a reasonable rent. The dwelling unit must pass housing quality standards and be maintained in that condition.

* Housing authority’s obligations: Administer the voucher program locally and contract with the landlord to provide housing assistance payments on behalf of a family. If the landlord fails to meet the owner’s obligations, the housing authority can terminate assistance payments. The housing authority re-examines each family’s income and composition at least annually and must inspect each unit at least annually.

Source: U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development

Read the full story at SJ-R.com…